Violin Teacher/Music Theory
- Teaching: 9 yrs
- Studio: Plateau Mont-Royal
- Metro: Laurier
- Languages: English, Ukrainian, Russian
- Lesson formats: In-studio, at-home, online
Price per lesson
Level Taught: beginner, intermediate, advanced
Styles: Classical, Pop, Jazz
I primarily teach classical violin with a large focus on:
- Mastering advanced techniques
- Achieving an advanced set up to prevent injury
- Learning about purposeful, focused practice for maximum efficiency
- Preparing for concerts/ auditions/ exams and orchestral engagements
- Improving solfeggio/ theory/ sight reading skills
- Elevating your performance on stage/ coping with nerves
- Expressing musical characters and ideas using various left/ right hand techniques
- Vibrato / bow strokes
- Doctoral candidate in violin performance at McGill University, Schulich School of Music.
- Master’s at McGill University in Montreal
- Undergraduate degree at the Royal Academy of Music in London
Ukrainian violinist Sofia moved to the United Kingdom in 2006 to study at the Purcell School of Music. She completed her undergraduate degree at the Royal Academy of Music in London under the tutelage of Mateja Marinkovic, and her master’s at McGill University in Montreal with Axel Strauss. Sofia made her orchestral debut with the Ternopil Symphony Orchestra in 2014. She has performed as a soloist and chamber musician in Ukraine, Italy, Slovenia, Poland, China, Canada, France and the United Kingdom, including performances at Giuseppe Tartini’s house in Piran and the Parliament building in London. In 2019, Sofia was on staff at the West Island Music Academy in Montreal and a member of the El Sistema Encore programme in Kahnawake. She is currently the principal violinist of Sinfonia de l’Ouest and a member of Orchestre Nouvelle Génération in Montreal.
Over the last two years Sofia was the winner of the Marusia Yaworska Scholarship award, winner of the Kathleen Trust Award and recipient of the Heinz Saueressig scholarship for academic excellence. She is currently a doctoral candidate in violin performance at McGill University, Schulich School of Music. Her dissertation research is focused on women composers of the late 19th and early 20th century within Britain and France. Striving to discover and promote music which is not receiving the recognition it deserves, she hopes to continue creating space for marginalised voices to be heard.
Sofia offers at-home lessons in the following locations:
Plateau, Mile End, Westmount, Downtown and Old Port
* an additional 10$/per lesson add-on is charged for transportation.
Online video lessons available
- Face Time