Bass, Rap Instructor
- Teaching: 6 yrs
- Studio: NDG
- Intersection: Somerled and Wilson
- Metro: Snowdon, Villa-Maria
- Bus: 102, 51, 103
- Languages: EN, FR
- Lessons options: in-studio, online
Price per lesson
Level Taught: beginner, intermediate, advanced
Level: beginner to advanced
Teaching is geared towards helping students attain a musical goal they wish to achieve in an engaging, interactive and fun way. Music is in all of us so my aim is to help you craft and develop it. When we talk about bass its about groove, feeling and rhythm
- Introduction to the instrument (position, posture, technique)
- Fretboard work (scales, chords)
- Basic theory
- Time and feel (metronome work, syncopation, playing with a drummer)
- Repertoire (learning songs)
- Become confident in playing different styles (Funk, Hip-Hop, R&B/Gospel, Jazz, Motown)
Level: Beginner to advanced
With over 10 years of professional rapping experience in a diverse array of live and recorded settings, he brings a rich background of rapping/emceeing in the hip-hop tradition. He has taught at schools and hosted workshops across Quebec and Ontario
- Understanding poetry
- Writing exercises
- Research and cultural appreciation
Level: Beginner, Intermediate
Max has 8 years experience on the piano/keyboard. His approach to the piano comes from a theoretical back round, having taken classical and jazz lessons in CEGEP and University.
- Piano/keyboard fingering
- Theory basics
- Harmony basics (chords, arpeggios, voicings)
- Learning repertoire
- Reading and understanding notation
- Jazz Studies, Concordia University: 2016-Present
- Professional Music & Song Techniques, CEGEP Vanier College: 2010-2014
- Theory Rudiments 1-3
- Royal Conservatory of Music: 2008
Maxwell is a college and university educated professional musician with a professional career for the last 10 years which so far has taken him to 2 continents and 5 countries around the world.
Having began studying the bass formally at age 16 he has studied with some of the countries most sought after bass players; Mikes Downes (Humber College), Alexandre Paquette (Jireh gospel choir, Montreal Jubilation Gospel Choir) and Peter Kiselenko (Gregory Charles, Ann Nesby, Sammy Davis jr.). While attending Concordia University in the Jazz Studies program Maxwell won the department’s most prestigious award, The Trevor Payne, C.M Scholarship in Black Music.
Maxwell remains a very active musician in both the Montreal and Toronto scenes partaking in many musical events. To name a few, he is a house band member of the most notorious Canadian Hip Hop Weekly Jam Night “Urban Science’s #Le Cypher” and the “Urban Science Brass Band’’, you can also find him at the forefront of the “Liquor Store”, as a guest musician of the nationally acclaimed “Kalmunity Vibe Collective” and his own personal project “Milla Thyme”.
Not currently offered.
Online video lessons available